The demands that society voiced in the wake of the Revolution of Dignity are still on the table. Today, these demands unite the absolute majority of Ukrainians. Every day that you do nothing destroys your chances to regain the trust of the people to the government.
Two years ago, Ukraine made a historic choice. People went to the streets calling for justice and for the protection of their rights.
We have done a lot since then. We defended our freedoms, we overthrew a dictatorship, we managed to sign the EU Association Agreement, we held elections, we passed reform laws and started reviewing the social contract.
The Ukrainian nation has paid dearly and continues to pay a huge price for all this. It is thus logical that society’s demands to the government have substantially increased.
Two years ago, we understood that no miracles would happen and that things would not change overnight. We were prepared to work hard, to suffer and to make sacrifices.
Yet we could hardly imagine that bureaucrats and businessmen that are close to government would continue to steal under the cover of “vyshyvankas”, the Maidan or the war in eastern Ukraine.
We could hardly imagine that buying votes with “buckwheat” and hiring “titushki” during the elections would remain unpunished.
We could hardly imagine that so many of those who laid the foundations of dictatorship, from judges to members of the Central Electoral Committee, would remain in power.
We could hardly imagine that the narrow circle of the very same oligarchs who drained the country under the previous regime would become the key partner of the government again. We could hardly imagine that key decisions would still be made by power brokers guided by their self-interests.
Dear President of Ukraine, Prime Minister, Ministers and Members of Parliament!
People see and understand everything. They do not believe in your excuses. Corruption and the imitation of reforms destroys trust on the part of Ukrainian society and respect on the part of foreign partners.
You still think that you have time. We have to disappoint you. People are at breaking point.
The demands that society voiced in the wake of the Revolution of Dignity are still on the table.
Today, these demands unite the absolute majority of Ukrainians. Every day that you do nothing destroys your chances to regain the trust of the people.
It is your fault that we are losing time. Instead of engaging in creative work – developing the economy, education, science and culture – we are forced to waste resources in the struggle against the system. The very system which you continue to nurture and protect.
We do not want a new revolution, which you are inadvertently bringing closer. We are ready to bear the responsibility for the future of our country. Thus, we are not asking, we are demanding to:
- Start a genuine fight against corruption. Focus on the higher levels of power and defeat the mutual cover up, appointing an efficient Prosecutor General. Complete the cleansing of corrupt officials and reform the civil service in line with European standards.
- Restore justice. Bring to court those who vandalized the country and led to violence and mass murder on Maidan.
- Ensure the rule of law. Carry out judicial reform in an intensive and decisive manner. Some important steps have been taken, but society is not sure about their success.
- Guarantee the transparency of power. Openly appoint new government officials, stopping the practice of behind-the-scenes agreements and of patronage aimed at pleasing power brokers.
- Articulate a clear plan. How should we all overcome the economic and humanitarian crisis? What do we need to do to get back Crimea and the occupied territories?
You still have a choice between your private interests and the country’s future. A choice between carrying out historic reforms or collapsing under the weight of your own greediness.
Anyone who supports this point of view can publish the text on his or her own behalf. #занашемайбутне #занашебудущее #forourfuture